Happy Birthday Dennis. A bunch of us got together, and posted various memories, pictures and rants about you to provide an online retrospective of your life. Enjoy.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Happy Memories from Pam

Happy Birthday Dennis Bender!

I have many happy memories of THE BENDERS.

I can't believe it's 60 years. I think of you as that young man on a ladder orchestrating the masses w/orders at The Heart and Soul Run in Tifton back in the day of stop watches and paper registration...no computer chips fastened to your ankle w/velcro back then, no siree, no e-mail sign up. I remember being so impressed with this young man and his family and the time it took to get that community event together. I had my blue t-shirt for years as a remembrance of this very successful event.

I remember that awful weed whacked bandaged leg and the way you still went to work in shorts.

I remember discussing the equal distribution of a batch of chocolate chip cookies...house sitting with a water bed and cats and fleas and AIR CONDITIONING!...children's birthday parties...demonstrations of that rainbow vacuum cleaner...remember that machine?
I remember receiving a wonderful hand crank ice cream machine as a wedding gift. I used it each summer for over 20 years until I finally wore it out. Do you know we still have kids that come to the house and ask when we are making ice cream. I had to get another. We make ice cream every summer.

Here's the thing I remember most about THE BENDERS...the warmth and unconditional love I experienced each and everytime I dropped in on them unannounced with Karl. We were welcomed each and everytime to come and join THE BENDERS on that big brown sofa and be apart of a safe happy home. I'm the lucky one to have had you in my early life. Kisses to you, Linda, Michael and Stacey.

Fondly, Pam Hilsenberg (What ever happened to that sofa?)

2 comments:

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Hi Pam,
You'll be pleased to know that the big brown sofa (now green) still has the place of honor in our living room. Neither Dennis, the kids or our friends will allow it to be moved or replaced. Everyone still sprawls all over it just like the good old days in Tifton.