Happy Birthday Dennis. A bunch of us got together, and posted various memories, pictures and rants about you to provide an online retrospective of your life. Enjoy.

Monday, December 25, 2006

The Weedeater Incident



It was the summer of about 1976 or thereabouts when Dennis was one of the first in the neighborhood to get one of those new fancy string-trimmers to edge the grass. He noted what a great job it did cutting even the tall grass. It was about this time that Dennis must have had a small stroke ( TIA to us in the business ) or perhaps he suddenly lost his sanity for a brief period when he thought-its just a little string- I wonder what it would feel like on my leg? Well, Dennis came to work the next day with multiple infected lacerations and cellulitis of the leg from the weed-eater. To this day I never use my Toro string-trimmer without thinking of Dennis.

Happy Birthday Dennis. We all miss you down here in Tifton, Ga. As one of the first PAs you are still a legend to those of us who knew you and had the pleasure and fortune to work with you. I still remember your laugh and some of your funny expressions. I still find myself saying- as Dennis Bender would say for instance a "celestial discharge" or "post-on call euphoria". We all remember the times you would always show up with your guitar at parties and sing Scarborough Fair . Since I have now started playing the guitar I wish you were here so that we could play together.

Again from all of us down here in Dixie-HAPPY BIRTHDAY

2 comments:

Eric said...

Just click on the image on the right to see Dennis in action.

Anonymous said...

After reading some of the antics of Dennis and Karl back in the "60s" I now have a better understanding of how the mishap with the weedeater occurred. I just wander how I missed out on all of that.